Tuesday 30 November 2010

Vegetarian Mincemeat

I'm not usually a big fan of mince pies, as I find them too sweet and too pastry-y. Despite this, I decided to have a go at making my own vegetarian mincemeat last year as I wanted to give some away in home made hampers, and found that it tasted gorgeous (even if I say so myself!).

Makes around 3 jars
  • 350 g/12oz 'normal' dried mixed fruit (currants, raisins, sultanas, peel)
  • 100g/4oz chopped 'posh' dried fruits (any combination of apricots, cranberries, dates, cherries, prunes etc)
  • 200g/8oz peeled, cored and grated apples (cooking or eating are fine)
  • 100g/4oz vegetarian suet or chopped block butter
  • 150g/6oz soft dark brown sugar
  • 50g/2oz chopped nuts (not peanuts or cashews) 
  • Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp ground mixed spice
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 4 tbsp brandy or orange liqueur
Put all of the ingredients into a large pan and and stir well.
Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Allow to cool in the pan and then stir well.

Mix in the brandy/liqueur.
Spoon into sterilised jam jars, cover with wax discs and seal the jars.
Store in a cool dark place for upto 3 months. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Delicious, there is nothing like homemade!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...