Saturday 6 November 2010

Roasted Vegetables with Halloumi

 ©
All my family like this light meal, which is simple to prepare and contains plenty of '5-a-days'. Fussy kids can easily pick out the bits they don't like, as the vegetables are all in nice big chunks. You could swap the veg. for anything else in season, such as celery, fennel, aubergine etc.
  • 2-3 peppers (red, orange and yellow are sweeter)
  • 1 onion
  • 8-12 mushrooms
  • ¼ butternut squash (peeled) or 1 courgette
  • 2 carrots
  • ½ pack of halloumi cheese
For the dressing
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice or balsamic vinegar
  • 1 crushed clove of garlic
  • 1tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Chop/slice all the veg. and place them (except the mushrooms) in a roasting dish.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper and some fennel seeds if you have them.
Roast for approximately 30 mins at 180 C/Gas 4, or until the vegetables are almost cooked.

Turn the vegetables and add the chopped mushrooms and halloumi cheese.
Return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.

Meanwhile make up the dressing.
Pour the dressing over the veg. and return to the oven for 5 minutes to heat through and cook the garlic.


Serve with hummus and pitta bread/wrap/flatbread, or mix the roasted vegetable mixture into some cooked rice or pasta.

Alternative: For an Indian version, sprinkle the vegetables with 2 tsp garam masala before cooking. Swap the halloumi for paneer cheese, and omit the dressing. Serve with plain/natural yogurt and chapatti/roti.

Vegan alternative: Add marinated or basil tofu instead of the cheese, or use a vegan cheese.
Pin It

19 comments:

  1. I love Halloumi...great veggie food! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Halloumi..Is it ok for me to use this
    recipe on my blog? I will give credit to you
    Thnx for sharing...Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna, Thanks for asking. Yes you can use my recipe on your blog, so long as you don't change it and you post a link back to this blog in return. Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is making me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sounds gorgeous! I've got some peppers that I was wondering what to do with.

    Thanks for linking up:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love halloumi cheese, hot or cold, and with scrambled egg! This sounds delicious too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm that looks gorgeous.

    I came across this post via the ShowOff ShowCase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely will try this in the week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure my fussy kids wouldn't eat this, but DH and I will. It's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing and I am def going to give it a try x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know, I've always wanted to try Halloumi, but never knew what to do with it, so you've done me a HUGE favour by reposting this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love halloumi - and this looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never tried it at home,but that looks yum:)Will defo try this soon x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous blog! Some very tasty looking creations on here, especially this one (I could live off halloumi!) I will certainly be giving them a go. Thanks for the follow x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made this. It's delicious. So much tastier than you think it's going to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anon...it tastes better than it sounds doesn't it?!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...