|Image © Onykahonie|
Of course, if you're vegan you could omit the cheese or replace it with some small pieces of fried firm tofu.
- 150g/6oz dried pasta - I generally use fusilli or conchiglie.
- ½ a green pepper, diced
- 8-12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 5cm chunk of cucumber, diced
- A handful of olives, sliced
- ½ a pack of halloumi, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup or puree
- Some finely chopped fresh parsley or dried oregano
- A little black pepper
Meanwhile, bake or fry the halloumi until golden brown.Rinse the pasta under cold water to cool, and drain well.
Make the dressing up and mix well. When the halloumi is cooked, remove from the heat and pour the dressing over the warm cheese to marinate.
Toss the chopped vegetables in with the pasta.
Add the halloumi and dressing, and mix well, to coat the pasta.
Chill until needed.
Alternative: For a more traditional Greek salad flavour, use feta cheese instead of the halloumi, but omit the tomato sauce/puree and the cooking stage.
Use cooked and cooled rice instead of the pasta if preferred.
You can make a nice salad with roasted vegetables instead of raw ones. Use chopped pepper, onion, courgette and tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for around 20 minutes. Cool and stir into warm or cold pasta.
Image © Onykahonie Pin It