Thursday 3 March 2011

Quorn Sausage and Cider Casserole

 ©
This is a recipe that I've adapted from an old pork recipe that my mum used to cook...originally from Good Housekeeping, I think. You can use any brand of veggie/vegan sausages for this recipe, or you could use extra root vegetables, mushrooms and some tinned beans, if you don't like meat substitutes.
  • 1 or 2 vegetarian sausages per person
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2-4 carrots, sliced
  • 1 red pepper, chopped or sliced
  • 2 sticks of celery or ½  bulb fennel, sliced
  • 1 tbsp plain flour/cornflour
  • 250ml dry cider
  • 250ml stock made with boiling water and 1 veggie stock cube
  • 1 heaped tsp tomato puree
  • ½  tsp of dried mixed herbs or 1 tsp fresh chopped sage or rosemary
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 1 or 2 cooking apples peeled, cored and quartered (optional)
Drizzle the sausages with olive oil and brown off in a casserole at 180C/Gas 4 for around 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, gently cook the onions in a pan with some olive oil, until soft. Then throw in the carrots, pepper and celery/fennel and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
Add the flour and stir well.
Add the hot stock and the cider (or extra stock).
Bring to the boil, stirring regularly. 
Pour the sauce over the sausages. Cook for 30 minutes.
If using, add the apple quarters and coat in the sauce. return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the apples and vegetables are soft.
Serve with roast potatoes or mash.

Slow cooker method: Put all the veg in the bottom of the slow cooker (add potatoes too if you want a one pot meal). Brown the sausages and place on top of the veg. Top with the apples.
Mix the cornflour with the cider, (cold) stock and remaining ingredients and pour into the crockpot/slowcooker. Cook on slow/low for 8 hours. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I used to love making sausage casserole. I haven't done it for a very long time but your post has reminded me of it. Thank you. Might have to wait for a special offer on veggie sausages though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to say I made this for tonight's dinner and it was perfect! One to make again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I made this for dinner tonight and it was very yummy, thak you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comment, I will be posting a new veggie sausage recipe shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, cool you've answered my question.I'm just adapting some recipes and wondered how Quorn faired in a slow cooker.Does it ever fall a part?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aly, I haven't tried with other Quorn products, except the chicken style fillets but I wouldn't think so, as they are pretty firm to start with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...