Thursday 21 April 2011

Chocolate Cornflake Crunchies (Vegan)

chocolate cornflake crunchies in cake cases
 © 
As it's nearly Easter and the kids are at home for the holidays, we thought we'd make some simple, cheap (and vegan) Chocolate Cornflake Crunchies*.

As we're not vegan, we topped them with mini milk-chocolate eggs, but you could obviously leave them off or use a dairy-free alternative, if you're vegan.

I generally double this recipe to make 16 cakes.
  • 50g/2oz margarine
  • 2 tbsp golden syrup
  • 50g/2oz demerara sugar (I use soft brown sugar)
  • 1 tbsp/½ oz unsweetened cocoa powder (I double this to make them more chocolaty)
  • 50g/2 oz cornflakes
Put margarine, syrup, sugar and cocoa into a saucepan. Heat gently until the margarine has melted (I bring the mixture to the boil to make the mixture more syrupy). 
Add the cornflakes and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon until coated with the chocolate syrup. Place spoonfuls of the mixture in to paper cases and leave for an hour or two until cold and set.

*Recipe taken from The Children's Cookery Book by Zita Alden and Yvonne Bourbon (out of print). Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Ooh! I used to love these, thanks for reminding me... ill have to make some with my daughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like them. We've got to make another batch for a party on Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A firm favourite with our children, I'm sure we will be making some over the holiday period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made these yesterday, they're wonderful. I doubled the amount and they all went by evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you liked them Anna...doubling is definitely the way to go!

      Delete
  5. I find if you use 75-100g of lightly crushed cornflakes (not ground to dust but no longer large flakes) it ends up like the Chocolate Cracknell we used to get at school.....excellent!! Vary the amount depending on how dense you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember chocolate cracknells well. I reckon you'd need to double the syrup mixture too, as the cracknells I remember were really gooey!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...