I adapted this recipe from Good to Know, but as I don't use ready-made pasta sauces and rarely use pre-prepared fresh vegetables I reduced the cost of the ingredients considerably. I thought I'd work out the difference in price to show how much money you can save...Good to Know recipe using bought pasta sauce and prepared vegetables: £5.60; My recipe using home made pasta sauce and peel-them-yourself vegetables £3.40
- 500g combined weight of peeled and diced butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper
- 250g dried fusilli pasta
- 100g grated firm goats cheese
- 1 tbsp pine nuts (optional)
Tomato & chilli pasta sauce
- 1 onion diced finely
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500ml passata
- ½ tsp dried or 1 tsp chopped fresh herbs
- dash of hot chilli sauce or a pinch of cayenne (optional)
Add the tomato puree, herbs and chilli and stir well.
Add the passata, stir and then put the lid on the pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Combine the pasta, tomato sauce and roasted vegetables and stir well.
Top with grated cheese (and pine nuts, if using) and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
Alternatives: Save even more money by swapping the cheese for budget mozzarella/cheddar or leave it out completely to make a vegan meal.
Omit the chilli if serving to toddlers/young children.
More sweet potato recipes. Pin It