Friday 11 November 2011

Aloo/Potato Masala Parathas (Vegan)

©
Miss Kahonie and I made our own parathas for this recipe, but it was a bit of a faff, so I'd suggest using ready-made ones (look in the frozen Asian foods section in larger supermarkets), or use chapattis or tortilla wraps instead.
If you want to made your own, I've added the recipe at the bottom of this page. 

Serves 4 (fills 4-8 parathas depending on size)
  • 1 large potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp black mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 2 heaped tsp ground coriander
  • ½ fresh chilli grated, or finely chopped, optional
Boil the potatoes until soft (as you would for mash), then drain.
Fry the cumin and mustard seeds in 1 tbsp vegetable oil, for a minute or so, until they start to pop.
Then add the onion to the pan and cook until soft.
Add the garlic, chilli and remaining spices.
Add the potatoes and a drop of boiling water and stir.
Cook for a couple of minutes until piping hot.
Crush the potatoes lightly with a fork or potato masher (the mixture should still be quite lumpy).
Spoon into warm parathas/chapattis and serve. 

Alternatives: Add a handful of frozen peas or some chopped spinach to the pan along with the cooked potatoes.

Parathas
Makes 6-8
  • 100g/8oz plain flour
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Warm water
  • Dairy-free spread/butter
Mix the flour and oil together (I used my food processor), then slowly add the water until the mixture just starts to form a dough.
Chill the dough for about 30-60 minutes.
Cut into 6-8 pieces and roll each into a rough circle, on a lightly floured board.
Spread each circle with a little spread/butter. Fold in half to make a semi-circle.
Spread with a little more spread/butter and fold over again to make a triangle.
Gather up the edges of the dough and make a ball.
Roll this out to make a circle again (about 10-15cm across) .
Heat a frying pan (with no oil).
Cook each paratha for a minute or two on each side.
Keep them warm in the oven until they are all cooked. 

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea and I'm definitely going to try the parathas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! Another dish for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely. I might have a go at the homemade parathas as they seem similar to the tortillas that I make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes sweet potato.I think I'll have a go at these.I found a pakora recipe yesterday so I think a meal with a few indian nibbles would be nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...