If you have a food processor, you can make these in just a few minutes.
Makes 8 mini or 4 large sausages (or about 8-12 'meatball' sized balls).
- 100g grated hard cheese (you should traditionally use Caerphilly, but I used feta and cheddar)
- 2-3 slices of bread made into breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, diced finely or grated
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (I used parsley, sage and rosemary)
- black pepper
- ½ tsp English mustard powder or paprika
Mix the cheese, breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning together.
Add the onion and stir in the egg to bind the mixture and make a firm dough.
Add more breadcrumbs if the dough is too sticky to handle.
Divide the mixture into the required number of pieces and roll into sausage shapes (or meat balls).
Heat a drop of vegetable oil in a frying pan.
Cook the sausages for about 5-8 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden brown.
Serve as part of a 'traditional' vegetarian British breakfast; Instead of meatballs with a spicy tomato sauce and pasta, or eat cold for lunch with a salad.
Alternatives: Add extra flavourings such as chopped sun-dried tomatoes, olives etc.
To barbecue, brush with oil first.
Suitable for freezing. Pin It