Sunday, 4 March 2012

Butternut Squash Cake

©
I received 2 butternut squashes instead of one (by mistake) in my online shopping delivery this week, so instead of boring the family with squash-filled savoury dishes every day, I thought I'd try baking with squash, in a carrot-cake type recipe. Miss Kahonie wasn't too keen on the idea though. 
"Vegetables should not be in cakes" she protested.
"But squash is a fruit not a vegetable, so you'll love this" I sneakily replied "...and it'll count towards your 5-a-days!".
  • 200g/8oz peeled and grated butternut squash
  • 100g/4oz butter/marg
  • 100g/4oz soft brown sugar
  • 150g/6oz SR flour
  • 2 medium eggs, beaten
  • 100g/4oz mixed dried fruit (I used chopped glacé cherries, raisins and sultanas)
  • 1 heaped tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
Pre-heat oven to 170C/160C Fan/Gas 3
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add all of the remaining ingredients except the dried fruits and mix well.
Fold in the dried fruits.
Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined baking tin (approx 18-20cm/7-8" sqaure).
Bake for 30-40 mins until firm to the touch.

Allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, before turning out and cutting into squares.

Serve warm (with custard or ice cream) or cold.

Suitable for freezing.


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, though I am a sucker for anything cinnamon & brown sugar. What's the texture like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tor. It's really quite light and moist, pretty much like a carrot cake...it doesn't taste at all squashy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. picklesmum5/3/12 8:56 pm

    Delicious. I added more cinnamon and some mixed spice. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing a few butternut squash cakes popping up recently and they intrigue me, I use carrots, beetroot and so on a lot in baking but have yet to try squash. Time to give it a go I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it Picklesmum. I think I may add more cinnamon next time too.
    Sian, hope you like it, if you give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was...and so were my kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. It will be visible after approval.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...