Sunday 4 March 2012

Butternut Squash Cake

©
I received 2 butternut squashes instead of one (by mistake) in my online shopping delivery this week, so instead of boring the family with squash-filled savoury dishes every day, I thought I'd try baking with squash, in a carrot-cake type recipe. Miss Kahonie wasn't too keen on the idea though. 
"Vegetables should not be in cakes" she protested.
"But squash is a fruit not a vegetable, so you'll love this" I sneakily replied "...and it'll count towards your 5-a-days!".
  • 200g/8oz peeled and grated butternut squash
  • 100g/4oz butter/marg
  • 100g/4oz soft brown sugar
  • 150g/6oz SR flour
  • 2 medium eggs, beaten
  • 100g/4oz mixed dried fruit (I used chopped glacé cherries, raisins and sultanas)
  • 1 heaped tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
Pre-heat oven to 170C/160C Fan/Gas 3
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add all of the remaining ingredients except the dried fruits and mix well.
Fold in the dried fruits.
Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined baking tin (approx 18-20cm/7-8" sqaure).
Bake for 30-40 mins until firm to the touch.

Allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, before turning out and cutting into squares.

Serve warm (with custard or ice cream) or cold.

Suitable for freezing.


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, though I am a sucker for anything cinnamon & brown sugar. What's the texture like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tor. It's really quite light and moist, pretty much like a carrot cake...it doesn't taste at all squashy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. picklesmum5/3/12 8:56 pm

    Delicious. I added more cinnamon and some mixed spice. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing a few butternut squash cakes popping up recently and they intrigue me, I use carrots, beetroot and so on a lot in baking but have yet to try squash. Time to give it a go I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it Picklesmum. I think I may add more cinnamon next time too.
    Sian, hope you like it, if you give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was...and so were my kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...