Friday 9 March 2012

Veggie Mince Shami Kebabs

Veggie Mince Shami Kebabs
©
My mum used to make shami keema kebabs (in fact she may still make them, but she obviously doesn't make them when we are visiting!). I thought I'd have a go at making a vegetarian version using veggie mince and breadcrumbs to replace the meat, and I was pleased with the result. 

Serves 4-6

  • 200g/8oz vegetarian mince (I used Quorn) - defrosted if frozen
  • 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 100g/4oz)
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 large onion finely chopped or grated
  • 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1 chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped/1 tsp chilli paste, optional
  • 3 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a pan.
Fry the spices with the onion and garlic on a low heat for a few minutes, until the onion is soft.
Remove from the heat.
Put all of the ingredients into the food processor and blend until combined.

Chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
Form into 8-12 small sausage or burger shapes, pressing the mixture together with your hands.
Shallow fry in a drop of oil until golden brown, or brush with oil and grill or bbq.

Serve with spicy pilau rice, or in bread rolls, chapattis or wraps...they taste great with a good dollup of tomato ketchup!


Alternatives:
Add 1-2 tbsp of your favourite curry paste instead of the spices/chilli if preferred.
For a Middle-Eastern version (Kabab Koobideh), swap the spices for some finely chopped parsley, ½ tsp cinnamon and ½tsp sumac. Rolls the mixture out into thinner, longer sausage shapes and cook as above.

I haven't tried making a vegan version yet, but you would need to swap the egg for something that would help bind the mixture together (maybe arrowroot?). If you find one that works, please let me know!


Not suitable for freezing.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Oh I am really impressed. Its something my mother would make for us when we were kids, not so much now as my sister in laws have takn over. I may give this a go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them Shaheen. My mum was taught to make them (and samosas) by our Indian next door neighbour. Do let me know if I should be using any different spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. could you give the nutritional values please as i am the weight watcher plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, I'm afraid I don't know how many calories are in each one, but to reduce the fat content, you could dry fry the onion and spices and use the spay oil to cook the finished kebabs. However you make them, they'll have less saturated fat than a meat version!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, I wasn't sure if you could use Quorn mince to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice....been looking for decent recipes to go with veggie mince. Thank you :-) Will give it a go tonight

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a creative way on how to make Quorn products very delicious! Tasty and rich in protein. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...