Wednesday 11 July 2012

Easy Vegan Cupcakes/Fairy Cakes

©
I found Orgran No Egg on special offer recently, so I bought some to test it out and review it; One box of No Egg costs around £2.50 and replaces the equivalent of 66 eggs, so it's good value for money. It contains the following ingredients:Potato starch, tapioca flour, calcium carbonate, citric acid, vegetable gum (stabiliser): methylcellulose and is also gluten free.

Following the success of my vegan Victoria sandwich cake, I thought I'd try 
adapting my usual (non-vegan) sponge cake recipe by using the egg-replacer instead of eggs. I made some cupcakes to see how the two recipes compared. The results were very pleasing, and I actually preferred the resulting texture and flavour of these cakes compared to my vegan sponge cake. The cakes were very light and crumbly, and kept fresh for a few days in an airtight container.

Makes 12

  • 150g/6oz dairy free spread/margarine
  • 150g/6oz sugar
  • 150g/6oz SR flour
  • 3 heaped tsp Orgran No Egg mixed with 6 tbsp water (or use a similar egg-substitute)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream the spread and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
Spoon the mixture between 12 paper cake cakes in a bun tin, filling quite generously.
Bake at 180C/170C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 for around 20 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Cool on a wire rack.

When cold, top with vanilla butter cream/frosting...

Vegan butter icing

  • 50g/2oz dairy free spread/margarine
  • 125g/5oz icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1-2 tsp boiled water
Soften the spread.
Mix in the vanilla.
Beat in the icing sugar gradually, adding a little boiled water as needed to make a soft, spreadable mixture.

Top tip: Warning - do not open the oven to check until at least 15 minutes have passed (unless you can smell them burning!), as the egg-replacer takes longer to set than eggs would. I found this out whilst cooking my first batch and they sunk in the middle!

Alternatives: Divide between two greased and lined sandwich cake tines and bake for 30-35 minutes. I haven't tried this yet, so please do let me know if it works!
Swap the vanilla for lemon zest to make a lemon cake, 1 tsp coffee granules mixed with 2 tsp boiling water for a coffee cake, or swap 25g/1oz of the flour for unsweetened cocoa powder to make a chocolate cake. Add the same flavourings to the butter cream icing.
Integrity Statement
I have not received any payment or free products in return for this review and the views expressed are genuinely those of myself and my family. 
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow - These look ah-maz-ing!! I seriously would like to eat one of those right now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, sorry they've all been eaten! Thanks for your comment :-)

      Delete
  2. The cupcakes looks yummy. And thanks a lot for the Tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I actually have the same box of egg replacement, as yet entirely unused, and had no idea what to do with it. I shall try this recipe once it and I are on the same continent again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, they may be slightly more easy to make if you're on the same continent as your ingredients!

      Delete
  4. These look wonderful, and what a great blog you have. Will be making them and testing them on my husband :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara :-) Do let me know how they turn out. I've only made 2 batches of these, so it would be good to know if cooking time and temperature work ok.

      Delete
  5. These were fantastic! :D I've been looking everywhere for a vegan cupcake recipe that doesn't use a shed load of fancy ingredients. This is the only recipe I managed to find and they taste great! Definitely will be using your recipe for future cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie, glad you liked them. I've tried out loads of recipes too and then discovered No Egg! I've now tried it in a lot of recipes and have been really pleased with the results.

      Delete
  6. Hi Im looking to make a giant vegan cupcake, and Im just wondering whether it would be better to adapt this recipe or the Vegan Victoria sponge cake recipe to get the best results. What would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I haven't tried making a vegan version myself, but bear with me. I'll try out an egg-free version of my regular giant cupcake recipe and see if it works!

      Delete
    2. Ok, I've tried out the regular version, substitution eggs for egg-replacer and it didn't work! It looked great in the tin, but collapsed when I turned it out! I would therefore go for the vegan Victoria sponge recipe and see if that works.

      Delete
  7. very pleased with my first attempt at vegan cakes. Thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...