- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or butter
- 1 large onion or leek
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cored
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 1 medium potato, peeled
- 1 litre/1¾ pts hot vegetable stock (I used a veg Oxo cube)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger or a good pinch of ground ginger
- A good pinch of ground cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- A little double cream to serve, optional
Heat the oil/butter in a large pan.
Add the onions and cook gently for a few minutes.
Add all of the remaining vegetables and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
Add the spices (if using) and the vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetable are tender.
Blend until smooth and then return to the heat for a couple of minutes.
Swirl with a little double cream before serving (optional).
Suitable for freezing
Top Tips: This soup is easily veganised by leaving out the dairy ingredients.
To adapt for babies and toddlers, make using water or a low-salt vegetable boullion. Omit or reduce the spices. Blend, then remove the children's portions. Return to the heat and add the remaining spices. Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes before serving, while the children's portions cool.
This recipe is my entry to Lisa's Kitchen leftover-themed No Croutons Required.