Monday, 21 October 2013

Ocado - Online shopping/delivery with a smile! A review

Now, I must admit that this review is a little biased. When the lovely people at Ocado approached me to review some of their new vegetarian products, I jumped at the chance. As an existing Ocado customer, I already know that their website is easy to navigate, their products are great quality and their delivery drivers always have impeccable manners. I also love the email that arrives before each delivery telling me who will be my delivery driver and which van they'll be driving!

In case you don't know, Ocado don't have any actual shops, but deliver their own Ocado-brand products plus the full range of Waitrose products.

When Wayne arrived (in the cabbage van!) he offered to take my shopping into the kitchen for me, but I was happy for him to leave it in the hall. I unpacked the bags and found lots of goodies to try, including: Pieminister wild-shroom and asparagus pie, Lincolnshire Secret Sausages, Linda McCartney lentil and vegetable cottage pie, Booja-Booja Hunky Punky Chocolate (vegan) ice cream and Waitrose nut roast Wellingtons.

We were all intrigued by the Secret Sausages, as they're made from vegetables and rice rather than the usual soya or Quorn used in most veggie sausages. Whilst not unpleasant, they tasted more like stuffing than a sausage, so I wouldn't really be tempted to buy others in the range. The Linda McCartney lentil and vegetable cottage pie was equally uninspiring and lacked any real flavour apart from the lentils!

The Pieminister pie was very good though and was large enough to share between two for a main meal.  It was packed full with a variety of juicy mushrooms and asparagus in a creamy sauce.

My favourite product was the Waitrose nut Wellingtons, which were a chunky nut roast and butternut squash mixture generously stuffed with goat's cheese and wrapped in pastry.There were two individually wrapped portions in a pack and would be ideal to have handy in the freezer if you have just one or two vegetarian guests over for Christmas dinner.

The Booja-Booja Hunky Punky Chocolate (vegan) ice cream was a bit of a revelation to us all. I didn't know that dairy-free desserts could taste that good! It tasted just like premium chocolate ice-cream but is made from just four ingredients...water, agave syrup, cashew nuts and cocoa. It's not cheap at the RRP of around £8.00 for 500ml, but if you can get it on special offer, it's definitely worth it.

I know that some Ocado products are a little more expensive than those from other supermarkets, but Ocado do have a low price promise and price match with Tesco on a wide range of products. They also have lots of half price, discounted and 2 for 1 offers each week. They stock a good range of fresh and frozen vegetarian products, including some which are a bit different to those stocked in all of the other main supermarkets. I also find that the quality of their fruit and veg means that it lasts longer than those from cheaper supermarkets, which means less waste.

Have you tried shopping with Ocado yet? If so, do leave me a comment and let me know what you think of their service.

Images courtesy of Ocado.com

Integrity Statement
I received the pictured products to review. I did not receive payment, and the views expressed are genuinely those of myself and my family.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. We're lovers of Ocado too, but will admit to mostly sticking to the default 'list'. Those wellingtons look nice, always looking for a veggie main to take down to my folks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always go through the special offers first before going through my favourites as I like to pick up a few bargains!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. It will be visible after approval.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...