Wednesday 28 September 2011

Apple Upside-Down Cake

Apple Upside-Down Cake
This is a recipe that I adapted from an old pineapple upside-down cake recipe, as I had some apples on my tree that needed using up - I think it would also work well using other fruits such as plums, pears, apricots and pineapple of course!
  • 50g/2oz butter or dairy-free spread
  • 50g/2oz soft brown sugar
  • ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
Cream the above ingredients together and spread over the bottom of a greased 18cm/7" round sandwich cake tin.
  • 3-4 eating apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
  • 75g/3oz butter/dairy-free spread
  • 75g/3oz caster sugar
  • 100g/4oz SR flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg or equivalent egg-replacer
  • 1 tbsp water
Top the butter and sugar mixture in the tin with a generous layer of sliced apples.
Cream the remaining butter and sugar together for the cake mixture.
Add the egg, water, baking powder and flour and mix to a smooth (but quite thick) batter/mixture.
Spoon into the tin and spread over the apples.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/170C Fan/Gas 4 for around 30 minutes or until the sponge is golden brown and firm to the touch.
Turn out and serve warm.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to put on 10 stone as a result of following your blog - so many yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this looks delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, well it tastes awesome, but I did NOT have a smooth batter; I had dry lumps - playdough consistency and I needed to add lots more milk to get a batter...and it was quite oily when it came out of the oven. When I tipped it out it all fell apart. No big deal but just giving feedback :)
    Thanks for sharing; I figure it gets even more broken up by the time we've chewed and swallowed it! So I just serve it warm in a dish with custard and call it pudding instead of cake :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Mrs Green...I've made this recipe quite a few times and it always comes out fine for me. Maybe I should have used the word mixture rather than batter, as it should be quite thick (not dry though) so that it soaks up some of the syrup and apple juices. I use a food processor to make mine, so maybe that's the difference?

      Delete
  4. Yes, perhaps a food processor makes the difference. Anyway, guess what? DD just asked me to make it again (it's gone already) and said it was now one of her favourites. Love that about kids, they just tuck in no matter how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear...hope the next one turns out a little prettier but just as tasty!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...